Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
A tasty casserole that is great for brunch for a light dinner :)
Make and share this Easy Chile Rellenos Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 2 (7 ounce) cans whole green chilies
- 4 green onions, sliced (can use more)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, grated (or more if desired)
- 1 1⁄2 cups monterey jack cheese, grated (or more if desired)
- 6 eggs
- 4 cups milk or 4 cups half-and-half
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounces of favorite salsa (can use more)
- Set oven to 325°F.
- Grease a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish.
- Split chiles lengthwise, and spread in a single layer in bottom of prepared baking dish.
- Combine the cheddar cheese with the Monterey Jack cheese; toss to mix.
- Sprinkle half of the mixed cheeses and all of the green onions over the chiles.
- In a bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, flour and salt until smooth.
- Pour over chiles and cheese.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until done.
- Meanwhile, mix salsa with remaining 1-1/2 cups cheese.
- Sprinkle over casserole, and return to oven for 10 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
After my daughter had a bad restaurant rellenos experience (don't ask), I looked for a casserole recipe that would taste authentic without the frying. Kittencal never lets me down. I added a pinch of cayenne to the eggs and milk, and used the Texas Red Enchilada Sauce (#42094) for the salsa. Voila! (or Velado!) Daughter's faith in Mom and good Mexican food affirmed and restored. ¡estupendo
This is my new favorite go-to recipe for brunch or lunch. It is easy, delicious and pretty to serve. I served salsa on the side.
I made this for my Mah Jongg luncheon group and everyone wanted the recipe! I served it with the new Costco 7-Super Foods Salad Mix. (I made it the night before and then just warmed it up for lunch. Easy!)
This is a keeper! It is so delicious and light! We had it with a salad. I love a good challenge when I'm cooking/baking, but once in a while, I love something easy like this; something for which I have all the ingredients on hand!