1/1 Photo of Delicious Chicken Barley Chili
This is a nice hearty meal that goes together very quickly. You can see how easy this recipe is to adjust for your family’s “spicy” tolerance. None of these ingredients are ever really "optional" here. I tend to add more garlic and some cayenne if there aren't any kids eating. You can use the seasoned varieties of the beans, tomatoes, or anything else. I love Rotel. I serve with some warmed pitas or tortillas.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (16 ounce) salsa
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can fat free chicken broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can canned corn, undrained
- 3 cups chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- 1In a large saucepan, tomatoes, salsa, broth, barley, water, chili powder, cumin, and garlic.
- 2Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3Add beans, corn and chicken; increase heat until chili comes to a boil.
- 4Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for another 5 minutes, or until barley is tender.
- 5If chili becomes too thick, add more chicken broth or water until chili is desired consistency.
- 6Top each bowl of chili with a little shredded cheddar and a dollop of sour cream.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Delicious Chicken Barley Chili
Serving Size: 1 (418 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 266.3
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 874.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.6 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 11.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: