This is my father's receipt. We like to top each with some sour cream, salsa, shredded lettuce and diced tomato. Very good ;) and can be made with any meat you prefer.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, diced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon chili powder or 1 teaspoon cayenne
- salt and pepper
- 16 medium flour tortillas
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese or 1 lb monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brown chicken in pan.
- Add the onion and garlic and sweat them.
- Add oregano, basil, parsley, and chili powder.
- Add salt and pepper if you wish.
- Stir until well blended.
- Set aside to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Spoon a little filling into each tortilla and add half as much cheese to each; roll up and place into a baking pan.
- Spread the rest of the cheese on the top.
- Bake until cheese is bubbly and browns on the edges.
Excellent blend of spices.. I used corn tortillas, wonderfujl flavor but the ones I bought would not roll they split. Still tasted wonderful but looked messy. I used skim milk Mozarrello - it doesn't have as much flavor but with the spices it was just fine. Added a tomatoe to the inside mixture and used cottage cheese on top before baking instead of sour cream. - I cut the recipe back to 4 enchiladas - Thanks for posting