8 hrs 20 mins
This is a simple beef ragu which can be made in the crock pot or just slow cooked either in the oven or on the stove. A few chilies and the polenta gives it a Mexican flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into large bite size pieces
- 1 green pepper, rough chopped
- 1 red pepper, rough chopped
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes diced with garlic, onion and oregano
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 -2 chipoltes in adobo sauce, chopped fine (accordingly to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin
Polenta and Garnish
- 1This couldn't be easier -- just add everything except the scallions, polenta, butter and oil into the crock pot and cook on low 8-10 hours. At the end of cooking, make sure you taste for any additional seasoning.
- 2Polenta -- There are many flavors of polenta all very unique these days. Cheese, herb, plain, sundried, onion, you name it. You can use whatever you like. I happen to like the plain best, but don't be afraid to try something else.
- 3In a medium sauce pan add the olive oil and butter and bring to medium high heat. Add the polenta slices and saute until lightly golden brown. Flip and saute the other side until golden brown as well.
- 4Serve -- Plate the polenta and top with the ragu over top. Garnish with the scallions and Monterey Jack cheese. serve with a nice salad for an easy dinner.
- 5NOTE: Chipoltes are spicy. Start out with 1-2 small chipoltes.You could add a little more half way through cooking for a little more heat, but go easy.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot Mexican Ragu and Grilled Polenta
Serving Size: 1 (326 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 813.3
- Calories from Fat 450
- Total Fat 50.0 g
- Saturated Fat 19.8 g
- Cholesterol 174.1 mg
- Sodium 259.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 51.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: