Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I learned to make this when I was a cook at a locally owned family restaurant many years ago. We served it with refried beans, mexican rice and flour tortillas. I've scaled this down to serve 8.
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 of a large white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs pork shoulder, cubed in bite-sized pieces
- 1 (30 ounce) canortega whole green chilies, drained and chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can jalapenos, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (optional)
- Cook onion and garlic in oil until fragrant. Add cubed meat and brown. Put all ingredients in crock pot. Cook on high for 3 hours; reduce heat to low and cook for 4-5 hours or until meat is very tender.
This was awesome!!! At the end I added some cumin and oregano. Will definitely make again.
Very good and easy but not for the timid! Served with cornbread and cheese for a wonderful dinner! Thanks for sharing!