Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is my way of making a rich & creamy Green Chili & Corn Enchilada bake...its almost "fundido" style wtih the Queso Asadero. Enjoy!
- 16 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 3⁄4 cup asadero cheese, shredded (you can substitute with Monterrey Jack if you can't find it)
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup requeson cheese, you can substitute with Ricotta
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons Mexican oregano, dried
- 2 cups chicken, shredded rotisserie or 2 cups self roasted chicken
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 -2 cup green chili, roasted, seeded, peeled, and sliced lengthwise into thin strips
- 4 scallions, cleaned, trimmed and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 lb tomatillo, husks removed and sliced in half
- 1 large red onion, quartered
- 1 lb green chili, New Mexico fresh, washed
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons honey
- To make the sauce:.
- Roast tomatillos, onion, green chilis, and garlic together in a 425 degree oven until charred and softened. Remove the skin, seeds, and stems from the green chilis.
- Place all ingredients in a blender and puree. If needed, season with additional salt/pepper.
- To make the Enchilada Bake:.
- In a bowl, combine Chicken, corn, onion, garlic, sour cream, and cream cheese in a bowl with a bit of salt and pepper (to season) and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix together 1/4 cup of Cheddar, 1/2 cup Queso Asadero, butter and Requeson Cheeses with the oregano and a pinch of salt & pepper to season.
- Spray the bottom and sides of a casserole pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Scoop a thin layer of the green sauce on the bottom of the pan and layer the tortillas. I often cut the tortillas to ensure that I get good coverage with little waste.
- Spread some of the Cheese Mixture and then the chicken/corn mixture on to the first tortilla layer. Add some of the green chilis lengthwise, ensuring that every bite will have some fresh roasted green chili.
- Cover with a layer of tortillas and more Green Sauce.
- Repeat the layering until all ingredients are gone and/or the casserole pan is full.
- Top with a last layer of tortillas, green chili sauce and the reserved cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes until heated, bubbly, and yummy.
- Serve by cutting into squares and topping with a sprinkle of fresh scallions and cilantro.