Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This one is for the cilantro lovers. From Resraunte Mexicano May-June 2007.
Make and share this Cream of Cilantro Soup - Crema De Cilantro recipe from Food.com.
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, leaves only (about 4 cups leaves, loosely packed)
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped onions
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup heavy cream (do not use sour cream) or 1 cup Mexican crema (do not use sour cream)
- shredded chihuahua cheese, manchego cheese, jack cheese (to garnish) or gouda cheese (to garnish)
- Place cilantro leaves in a blender with 1 cup of the chicken stock and blend to form a puree. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the onion and garlic, and sauté until soft but not brown. Add the flour and stir to make a roux. Gradually add the remaining broth, stirring with a whisk after each addition.
- Add the cilantro puree, stirring to blend thoroughly. Cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes. The soup may be made ahead up to this step.
- Stir in the cream, place in serving bowls and garnish with shredded cheese and a cilantro sprig if desired.