Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is so good. A different twist on enchiladas. It has been around my house for a long time. It is adapted from a recipe in a 1979 edition of Seasoned with Sun.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups reduced-fat milk
- 4 -6 long green chili peppers, roasted,peeled,seeded and chopped (a 4-oz can of chopped green chili can be substituted for the fresh)
- 1⁄4 lb monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 lb longhorn cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 small amount canola oil
- 1 dozen corn tortilla
- 2 (6 ounce) cans crabmeat
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Saute onion in oil, add flour, milk and chili.
- Cook until medium thick.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of cheeses to sprinkle over top of sauce.
- Heat 1/2 to 1 tsp of canola oil at a time in skillet.
- When oil is warm quickly dip tortillas in oil until soft and warm.
- Immediately put 1 Tablespon each of cheese, crabmeat and sauce in tortilla and roll up.
- Place seam side down in a 11x7 inch pan.
- Repeat until all tortillas are used.
- Pour the remaining sauce on top and sprinkle with reserved cheeses.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
Delicious! My son took one bite and moaned with delight. I added a teaspoon each of Old Bay and cumin to the sauce. Will definately make this one again. Thanks for sharing PaulaG!
This dish was very disappointing. After reading the reviews our family thought it would be love at first bite, but after the first bite it went out to the cats(who by the wy wouldn't even touch it!). We will never make this recipe again.
Very nice easy casserole to put together and get on the table. I cut recipe in half and used I can of crab for this recipe and made as written. I thickend up the sauce a little, and made it to my liking, as it was a little thin for me. I added some black olives to the mix, simply because I love them. I also used Mexican cheese instead of Monterey Jack... It turned out great. This is a dish I will be making again sometime soon. Thanks for sharing Paula! Linda