From Ortega's Mexican Fiesta booklet found on an end-cap at the supermarket. If I use mild taco seasoning and mild salsa my husband will eat bowls and bowl of this and for a man that hates chili this is saying a lot. Feel free to spice it up! Garnish this hearty dish with crumbled taco shells, shredded cheddar cheese, cilantro and diced fresh tomatoes. Yum!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) jar thick & chunky salsa
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat; add onion and garlic. Cook and stir until onions are tender, just about 3 minutes. Add chiles, taco seasoning mix and ground beef. Cook beef, stirring often, about 5 minutes or until browned.
- Add tomatoes, cinnamon, water, salsa, chocolate chips and almonds. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes. Stir every 10-15 minutes to combine the flavors. Add beans and heat an additional 15 minutes.