From: The Spice is Right. Text and recipes by Kathryn Jessup| From the November 2008 Issue of Coastal Living Magazine. Chipotle Fish Tostadas call for mucho garlic in addition to chipotle chiles. Along Mexico's Gulf coast, brave cooks fry spicy dried chipotle chiles in oil. Here, we used milder canned chipotles en adobo, a chile-vinegar sauce, but they still pack a punch. This is not to be confused with my Chipotle Shrimp Tostadas!:)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 quarts water
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, tied with string
- 2 lbs firm white fish fillets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained (canned)
- 2 -3 canned chipotle chiles in adobo, seeded, finely chopped, and divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce, from chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 12 corn tortillas
- 6 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1Bring first 7 ingredients to a boil in a 6-quart Dutch oven.
- 2Add fish, reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes.
- 3Drain well, reserving fish but discarding onion, garlic, bay leaf, and cilantro.
- 4Flake fish, and set aside.
- 5Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 6Add pressed garlic cloves, and sauté 30 seconds.
- 7Add tomatoes, 1 or 2 chopped chipotle chiles, cloves, black pepper, and 1 tablespoon lime juice.
- 8Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates.
- 9Process tomato mixture in a blender until smooth; return to skillet.
- 10Add fish to tomato mixture, and cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated.
- 11Remove from heat, cover, and keep warm.
- 12Stir remaining chipotle chile into mayonnaise.
- 13Stir in 2 teaspoons adobo sauce until blended.
- 14Heat vegetable oil in a 9-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
- 15Fry tortillas, one at a time, in hot oil 1 minute or until richly browned and crisp, turning once or twice.
- 16Drain on paper towels.
- 17Spread chipotle mayonnaise evenly on tortillas.
- 18Top each tortilla with 1/3 cup fish mixture, 1/2 cup lettuce, and avocado slices.
- 19Garnish, if desired.
- 20**Try this recipe with rotisserie chicken in place of the fish for a quick weeknight dinner.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chipotle Fish Tostadas
Serving Size: 1 (962 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 851.5
- Calories from Fat 567
- Total Fat 63.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 108.3 mg
- Sodium 1068.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.6 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 33.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo