Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 15 mins
Mmmmmm. One of my favorite recipes. Very labor intensive, but trust me, it's worth every minute.
Make and share this Chili Relleno Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 6-8 large pasilla bell peppers (aka Poblano)
- 473.18 ml monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 473.18 ml sharp tillamook cheddar cheese, shredded
- 453.59 g ground turkey
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 118.29 ml finely diced carrot
- 14.79 ml chopped raisins
- 59.14 ml walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 4.92-7.39 ml chili powder
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 425.24 g can tomato sauce
- 4 eggs, 2/3 cup flour, and 1 1/2 cups half and half or 4 whole milk, whisked together
- Roast the peppers on a gas grill or in the broiler until charred. Put them in a paper bag for 10mins to loosen the skin. Peel and seed them making one vertical slit so that you can lay the pepper out flat.
- Sauté onion, garlic and carrot until the onions are translucent.
- Add the raisins and walnuts.
- Add spices and sauté about 1 minute more.
- Add the meat and cook until the turkey is browned and cooked through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Grease a 9x11 casserole pan and layer the ingredients like a lasagna as follows: peppers, meat, cheese (both kinds), batter, peppers, batter, Monterey jack, tomato sauce, cheddar.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven 1hr covered. Remove foil and bake another 15mins until lightly browned and bubbly.
- Serve with fresh sliced avocado.