2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Chef Emstar's Note:
Mmmmmm. One of my favorite recipes. Very labor intensive, but trust me, it's worth every minute.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6-8 large pasilla bell peppers (aka Poblano)
- 473.18 ml monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 473.18 ml sharp tillamook cheddar cheese, shredded
- 453.59 g ground turkey
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 118.29 ml finely diced carrot
- 14.79 ml chopped raisins
- 59.14 ml walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 4.92-7.39 ml chili powder
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 425.24 g can tomato sauce
- 4 eggs, 2/3 cup flour, and 1 1/2 cups half and half or 4 whole milk, whisked together
- 1Roast the peppers on a gas grill or in the broiler until charred. Put them in a paper bag for 10mins to loosen the skin. Peel and seed them making one vertical slit so that you can lay the pepper out flat.
- 2Sauté onion, garlic and carrot until the onions are translucent.
- 3Add the raisins and walnuts.
- 4Add spices and sauté about 1 minute more.
- 5Add the meat and cook until the turkey is browned and cooked through. Season with salt and pepper.
- 6Grease a 9x11 casserole pan and layer the ingredients like a lasagna as follows: peppers, meat, cheese (both kinds), batter, peppers, batter, Monterey jack, tomato sauce, cheddar.
- 7Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven 1hr covered. Remove foil and bake another 15mins until lightly browned and bubbly.
- 8Serve with fresh sliced avocado.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chili Relleno Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (447 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 558.5
- Calories from Fat 335
- Total Fat 37.2 g
- Saturated Fat 18.3 g
- Cholesterol 273.8 mg
- Sodium 944.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 39.4 g