Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is somewhere between a chili and a minestrone... It is spicy, so I warn you to adjust the seasonings and/or the tomatoes and beans used accordingly if you don't want that! I did not put any pasta in this but you can if you wish at the end of cooking. This is good with homemade croutons and a sprinkling of cheese on top, or with a grilled cheese sandwich, or by itself.
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies (I used Red Gold Petite Diced Mexican Fiesta spiced tomatoes)
- 1 (16 ounce) can chili beans (I used Bush's Best Chili Beans with Hot Sauce)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cups frozen mixed vegetables (mix of peas, carrots, beans, and corn)
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mrs. dash extra spicy sodium-free seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Put everything in a 4 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Cook on low for at least 6 hours. We like our soups very long simmered, so I let this go a good 8-10 hours. I don't think you can overcook it.
It's a perfect mix between minestrone and chili. The heat makes it especially tasty. Goes well with peanut butter toast.
This is fantastic!! Thank you for posting!!