1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 30 mins
The biscuits really make this version of Chili Con Carne. Delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into bits
- 6 ounces coarsely-grated cheddar cheese
- 5 jalapenos, seeded and minced (2 inches long, don’t forget to wear kitchen gloves!)
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream
Chili Con Carne
- 2 large onions, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 carrots, sliced thin
- 3 lbs lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 1/4 cups beef broth
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 (20 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 1Make biscuits: Into a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and the salt; add the butter and blend the mixture until it resembles coarse meal.
- 2Stir in the cheddar and the chilies; add the sour cream and stir the mixture until it just forms a soft, but not sticky, dough.
- 3Knead the dough gently for 20 seconds (about 6 turns) on a lightly-floured surface.
- 4Roll or pat it out ½ inch thick and with a 3 ½ inch cookie cutter, cut out 8 rounds.
- 5Bake on an ungreased baking sheet in the middle of a preheated 430F oven for 15-17 minutes, or until they are golden.
- 6Make the chili con carne: In a saucepan, cook the onions in the oil over moderately-low heat, stirring occasionally, until they are softened.
- 7Add the garlic and the carrots and cook the mixture, stirring, for 1 minute.
- 8Add beef and cook over moderate heat, stirring and breaking up any lumps, for 10 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink.
- 9Add chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, pepper flakes and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- 10Add tomato sauce, broth and the vinegar; bring to a boil and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until the meat is tender.
- 11Add the kidney beans and the bell peppers and season to taste.
- 12Simmer mixture, uncovered, for 15 minutes, or until peppers are tender.
- 13Arrange a biscuit, heated and split, on each of 8 dinner plates.
- 14Spoon chili over bottom half and cover with top half of biscuit.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chili Con Carne with Chili Cheddar Shortcakes
Serving Size: 1 (550 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 830.9
- Calories from Fat 399
- Total Fat 44.3 g
- Saturated Fat 19.5 g
- Cholesterol 158.3 mg
- Sodium 1431.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.9 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 51.1 g