Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
The biscuits really make this version of Chili Con Carne. Delicious.
Make and share this Chili Con Carne with Chili Cheddar Shortcakes recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into bits
- 6 ounces coarsely-grated cheddar cheese
- 5 jalapenos, seeded and minced (2 inches long, don’t forget to wear kitchen gloves!)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sour cream
Chili Con Carne
- 2 large onions, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 carrots, sliced thin
- 3 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄4 cups beef broth
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 (20 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- Make biscuits: Into a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and the salt; add the butter and blend the mixture until it resembles coarse meal.
- Stir in the cheddar and the chilies; add the sour cream and stir the mixture until it just forms a soft, but not sticky, dough.
- Knead the dough gently for 20 seconds (about 6 turns) on a lightly-floured surface.
- Roll or pat it out ½ inch thick and with a 3 ½ inch cookie cutter, cut out 8 rounds.
- Bake on an ungreased baking sheet in the middle of a preheated 430F oven for 15-17 minutes, or until they are golden.
- Make the chili con carne: In a saucepan, cook the onions in the oil over moderately-low heat, stirring occasionally, until they are softened.
- Add the garlic and the carrots and cook the mixture, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add beef and cook over moderate heat, stirring and breaking up any lumps, for 10 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink.
- Add chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, pepper flakes and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add tomato sauce, broth and the vinegar; bring to a boil and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until the meat is tender.
- Add the kidney beans and the bell peppers and season to taste.
- Simmer mixture, uncovered, for 15 minutes, or until peppers are tender.
- Arrange a biscuit, heated and split, on each of 8 dinner plates.
- Spoon chili over bottom half and cover with top half of biscuit.