1/1 Photo of Chiles Rellenos in Tomato Broth
1 hr 35 mins
Kirstin in the Couv's Note:
This recipe is by Rick Bayless and are the best chiles rellenos on the planet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium white onions, diced
- 3 tablespoons lard
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes with juice, undrained and pureed
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 8 poblano peppers, peeled, seeded and slit
- 1 lb monterey jack cheese
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 48 inches skewers
- 1Brown onions in lard.
- 2Add tomatoes, cinnamon and pepper.
- 3Cook briskly until sauce becomes the consistency of a thick tomato sauce.
- 4Add stock, simmer partially covered for 45 minutes.
- 5Stuff chiles with cheese and hold together with skewers.
- 6Batter: Beat whites to stiff peaks with 1/2 tsp salt.
- 7Beat in yolks 2 at a time until well incorporated.
- 8Beat in flour.
- 9Dust chiles with flour and dip quickly into batter then lay in 350 degree oil.
- 10Baste tops with hot oil.
- 11When they are golden on bottom, turn over and cook other side.
- 12Drain. Once all chiles have cooled at least 5 minutes (they can sit up to 1 hour), put on sheet pan with parchment, slip out the skewer, and bake at 400 for 15 minutes.
- 13To serve, place a pool of sauce in a bowl and top with a chile.
- 14Note: The easisest way to peel chiles for this dish is to deep fry in 350 degree oil for abou 45 seconds, remove, let cool and then peel--there is less chance of breaking the chile this way.
- 15The oil can then be used to cook the chiles.
Browse Our Top Peppers Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Peppers Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chiles Rellenos in Tomato Broth
Serving Size: 1 (411 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 431.7
- Calories from Fat 252
- Total Fat 28.0 g
- Saturated Fat 14.3 g
- Cholesterol 196.5 mg
- Sodium 882.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 24.2 g