Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is a specialty of the La Bola Restaurant chain in Denver, CO. They serve it over burritos, chile rellenos and as is with lots of cheese and onions on top.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs pork shoulder
- 1 lb pork soup bones
- 1 (22 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 3 1⁄2 cups hot water
- 3 (7 ounce) cansdiced green chili peppers, strips (Ortega brand preferred)
- 1 ounce diced hot pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
- Cut pork into 1/2 inch cubes and with the pork bones, fry over low heat until brown and the meat is slightly dry. If pork is very fatty, pour off grease until you only have 4-5 tbsp left.
- Using a colander, strain tomatoes into an 8-qt sauce pan and rough chop the tomatoes. Add tomato sauce, garlic, hot water and cooked pork and bones to tomatoes.
- Bring to rapid boil and continue boiling for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add spices, chopped hot peppers and chopped chili strips and continue to boil for 20 more minutes, stirring frequently.
- Lower heat to medium and continue cooking for 20 minutes.
- Remove bones and ready to serve.
- May be refrigerated for 1 week or frozen for three months.