Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a typical kid friendly comfort food meal. My own variation of a recipe from a good friend. It is a simple meal to make and great for a cold winter day dinner. If you like cheese as I do, you may add more then indicted below. You may substitute low fat shredded cheese and/or low carb elbows if desired. Serve with a salad and your done!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (with jalapenos if you like, I prefer jalapenos)
- 1 (8 ounce) bag cheddar cheese or 1 (8 ounce) bag monterey jack cheese or 1 (8 ounce) bag Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet taco seasoning
- 1 (8 ounce) box elbow macaroni, cooked
- 1 -2 green onions (optional) or 1 -2 scallion, chopped for garnish (optional)
- Cook macaroni according to directions on the macaroni box.
- Drain and set aside to cool.
- Brown ground beef and add taco seasoning.
- In a large bowl add cooled elbows, ground beef, two cans of diced tomatoes.
- Mix all ingredients.
- Add 3/4 of the shredded cheese bag to bowl and mix.
- Transfer ingredients to a large lasagna pan.
- Add remaining cheese and put on top of the casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and lightly browned.
Perfect comfort food!
I didn't have tomatoes with chillies, so just chopped up some jalapenos from a jar, which I always have in the house. Also used low fat cheese, and you would never have guessed.
Great flavours, nicely spiced...DH and I loved it...
Made for PAC-OCT '11.
When I straightened my pantry, I realized I had 10 cans of Ro-tel tomatoes. This looked like the perfect recipe to use a couple of cans. It was a little spicy but not too hot. The whole family loved it and it made a lot!! This was fast, easy and good..just what I look for in a recipe. This will be great for a cold night. Thanks for the recipe...love it! Yum..gonna have leftovers for lunch tomorrow if someone doesn't beat me to it!
My husband loved this! Makes a great item for the next day for brown bagging to work. Used my own taco seasoning mix, too. Served with a tossed salad and green beans. Simple but tasty!