1/1 Photo of Chile Colorado Meatballs
2 hrs 5 mins
We were feeling like having a bit of Chile Colorado tonight, but weren't looking forward to the hours of watching over it would require with cubed beef; and besides, all the beef was frozen. So I looked in the freezer to see what I could come up with, and hey -- there were meatballs in there! The resulting Chile Colorado Meatballs were "very" tasty, and in addition to being a great dinner item I think will make a really nice potluck and/or appetizer dish in the future. Here's the quick and easy recipe I created for our crockpot.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules (See *)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes or 1/4 cup minced fresh onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cider vinegar
- Tabasco sauce or your favorite hot sauce, to taste (I used somewhere between 1/4 to 1/2 tsp, cause I'm a whimp)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb good quality frozen meatballs
- 1In a large bowl, stir together the boiling water and bouillon granules until dissolved.
- 2Add remaining ingredients.
- 3Pour all into either a crockpot and cook on high for 2 to 3 hours (or low for 5 hours), or a large casserole and bake in preheated 350 degree F oven for 45 minutes.
- 4Enjoy! Serve as part of a Mexican-style combination dinner of enchiladas or tamales, rice, and refried beans- the sauce goes really well with other dishes on the plate.
- 5*Note:I prefer using 1 tsp of Maggi Chicken with Chipotle bouillon cube and 1 tsp of Chicken and Tomato bouillon cube instead of 2 tsp beef bouillon; please note that most Maggi bouillon cubes contain 2 tsps, so you'll be using half a cube.
- 6Another note: also, you can add another tsp of bouillon and cup of water to make more sauce if you want to add another pound of meatballs for more servings.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chile Colorado Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (233 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 63.5
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.2 mg
- Sodium 1192.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 3.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: