Karen From Colorado's Note:
Usually, chilaquiles are eaten at breakfast time. This makes them a popular recipe to use leftover tortillas and salsas. Chilaquiles are often thought to be a cure for the common hangover; this is because in Mexico it is believed that spicy foods help in the recovery process from a hangover.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic, minced
- 12 tomatoes, peeled and seeded and pureed
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 4 round corn tortillas
- 1 cup sour cream (thinned with a small amount of water)
- 1/2 lb manchego cheese
- 1/2 lb mozzarella cheese
- 1Cut the tortillas into strips.
- 2Cook chicken with a little water, the quartered onion, a pinch of salt and two cloves of garlic. Cover, cook slowly over a medium heat.
- 3Remove cooked chicken from the pan and discard onion and garlic; allow to cool enough to handle.
- 4Sautee the chopped onion and garlic in a little olive oil.
- 5Once the onion is translucent, add tomatoes, cilantro and Tabasco sauce; simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes; salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Shred the chicken and add to the sauce; lower heat and cook for a few minutes to absorb some of the flavors from the sauce. Do not over cook.
- 7Deep fry the corn tortillas. When they are crisp, remove and drain on paper towels.
- 8Assemble the chilaquiles like lasagna. Use a large lasagna pan and layer the following: tortillas, chicken in sauce, thinned sour cream, cheese.
- 9Repeat layers and finish with cheese and sour cream.
- 10Bake at 325 degrees F for about 45 minutes.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chilaquiles
Serving Size: 1 (731 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 600.9
- Calories from Fat 249
- Total Fat 27.7 g
- Saturated Fat 15.6 g
- Cholesterol 138.5 mg
- Sodium 497.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 14.2 g
- Protein 48.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: