After buying tatuma squash on a whim, I had to find a way to use it. Tatuma, or Mexican white squash, is native to Latin America. Similar to zucchini in shape, size and texture, Tatuma has a soft green skin with a slightly firm white flesh. If you can't find tatuma, zucchini or summer squash can be substituted. If using zucchini or summer squash, which cook faster than tatuma, add to the pan 5 minutes before the chicken is done.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (2 1/2-3 lb) broiler-fryer chickens, cut into 8 to 10 pieces or 4 large bone-in chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tatuma squash or 4 zucchini or 4 summer squash, halved, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 large tomatoes, halved and sliced
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 -5 whole serrano chilies (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- 2Season the chicken with 1 teaspoon salt; add to the pan, and cook, turning once or twice, until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Pour off the excess fat.
- 3Add the squash, tomatoes, onion, garlic, and chiles, if using.
- 4Season with additional salt if needed, the oregano, and pepper.
- 5Cover and simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the squash is fork-tender, about 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken With Tatuma Squash ( Pollo Con Calabacita )
Serving Size: 1 (335 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 773.0
- Calories from Fat 511
- Total Fat 56.7 g
- Saturated Fat 14.0 g
- Cholesterol 212.8 mg
- Sodium 789.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 54.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: