Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A wonderful Mexican inspired casserole. I got this one from my aunt. She's been making this for years, and it's one of my uncles favorites, and he usually doesn't like Mexican cuisine!
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (7 ounce) package cornbread mix
- 2 1⁄2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons canned chopped mild green chilies
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- Melt butter in small skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 4 to 6 minutes or until tender, stirring constantly.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine corn, cream style corn, eggs and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Mix well.
- Add corn muffin mix-mix well.
- Fold in cooked onion mixture.
- Pour into greased dish.
- In a large bowl, combine all topping ingredients, except cheese, mix well.
- Spoon over corn bread to within 1 inch of edges.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 375 for 35 to 40 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
This was wonderful!Even my picky husband liked it.It was very easy to prepare after a long day at work.I had to substitute grated cheddar for the monterey jack.I served a simple green salad with this casserole.It was perfect!!!
Wow!! Saw this recipe yesterday and couldn't wait to get home from work to prepare it. It is amazing how the sweetness from the cornbread and the sourness of the sour cream work so well together. This recipe is definitely a KEEPER!!! Darlene Ross
I first got this recipe off the Pillsbury website, but lost it and couldn't find the recipe on Pillsbury again. Thank heavens for Recipezaar! This is one of my husband's favorite chicken dishes.