1/1 Photo of Chicken Posole Verde
It is more authentic using chicken breast halves with bones and skin but I wanted to lighten it up a bit. You can top with finely chopped onion, diced avocado, sour cream, tortilla chips and lime wedges- if desired.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 7 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, halves
- 1 lb tomatillo, husked and halved
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 2 poblano chiles (cored, seeded and quartered)
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and quartered
- 4 large garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oregano leaves
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 (15 ounce) cans white hominy, drained
- 1In a large pot bring the chicken stock and water to a boil. Add the chicken breasts and simmer over very low heat until they’re tender and cooked through, about 25 minutes. Transfer the chicken breasts to a plate and shred the meat.
- 2In a blender or food processor combine the halved tomatillos with the quartered onion, poblanos and jalapeños, smashed garlic, chopped cilantro and oregano. Pulse until coarsely chopped; stopping occasionally and scraping down the side. With the machine on, add 1 cup of the broth and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- 3In a large deep skillet, heat the vegetable oil until shimmering. Add the tomatillo puree and cook over medium heat, until the sauce turns a deep green, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes.
- 4Pour the green sauce into the broth in the casserole. Add the hominy and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Add the shredded chicken to the stew, season with salt and pepper and cook just until heated through.
- 5Serve the pozole in deep bowls, topping with onion, avocado, sour cream, tortilla chips and lime wedges if desired. We just usually eat it with a sprinkling of tortilla strips.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Posole Verde
Serving Size: 1 (586 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 480.7
- Calories from Fat 155
- Total Fat 17.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 70.2 mg
- Sodium 913.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 12.7 g
- Protein 31.7 g