I wouldnt normally put some of the below ingredients in posole such as tomato paste....but when I tasted this it was too delicious to not keep in the dinner rotation.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 (15 ounce) cans white hominy, drained
- 3 1/4 cups cooked chicken (shredded or chopped, about 1 pound) or 3 1/4 cups turkey meat (shredded or chopped, about 1 pound)
- coarse salt and pepper
- 1Heat oil in a 5-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onions; cook until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 2Add garlic, tomato paste, chili powder, and oregano; cook, stirring constantly, until evenly distributed.
- 3Add 2 cups water, broth, and hominy. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until fragrant, about 30 minutes.
- 4Stir in chicken; season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- 5Cook until heated through. (When freezing, cool completely before transferring to airtight containers.)
- 6To serve, divide among bowls, and garnish as desired.
- 7Assorted garnishes, such as diced avocado, thinly sliced radishes, and crumbled tortilla chips (optional).
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Posole Using Leftover Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (685 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 511.5
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 85.3 mg
- Sodium 922.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.3 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 38.3 g