Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Using an already cooked chicken makes this a quick meal. It is a hearty one dish dinner.
Make and share this Chicken Posole recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 (15 ounce) cans white hominy, drained
- 6 3⁄4 cups shredded cooked chicken (2 pounds) or 6 3⁄4 cups turkey meat (2 pounds)
- coarse salt and pepper
- assorted garnishes such as diced avocado, thinly sliced radishes, and crumbled tortilla chips (optional)
- Heat oil in a 5-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onions; cook until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, tomato paste, chili powder, and oregano; cook, stirring constantly, until evenly distributed.
- Add 4 cups water, broth, and hominy. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until fragrant, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in chicken; season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook until heated through. (When freezing, cool completely before transferring to airtight containers.).
- To serve, divide among bowls, and garnish as desired.