Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is very easy to prepare and even the kids like it! COOKS NOTES: Look for Dona Maria Mole. It is in a jar with the Mexican foods. Serve with sour cream, cilantro, salsa and avocado. Please note: this is an adopted recipe and I hope to make it soonest. If you make it before I do, I would appreciate feedback, Thanks ! ZWT REGION: Mexico.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a saucepan over medium high heat, stir together mole paste and about half of the broth.
- Once mixture is smooth, stir in remaining broth and chicken. Heat until simmering.
- Spray a 9-inch pie plate with non-stick cooking spray. Place two tortillas, overlapping, on bottom of pie plate. (Tortillas won't completely cover the bottom; that's OK.).
- Top with 1/4 of the chicken and sauce and 1/4 of the cheese. Continue layering, ending with sauce and cheese.
- Bake about 25 minutes, until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling. Cut in wedges to serve.
Great idea! I added a layer of cooked rice and some chopped onion to make it go a little farther. Since I added the rice I put a little more broth into the mole (only 1/4 cup) to thin it out a little. I cooked it in my crock pot on low for 3 hours. I think the next time I make it I might add a layer of black beans as well and garnish with cilantro and sour cream. So yummy! I took it to a potluck at my church and everyone raved about it- so thanks for the recipe!!
If you like mole, this is a very good dish. Quick and easy. I put nonfat plain yogurt on it in place of sour cream. I also used only 6 corn tortillas using 1 cup of chicken/sauce mixture for layers. I did not find it dry at all.
I used my own mole sauce for this recipe. I did mix the shredded chicken with about 1/2c sour cream and about 1/2c shredded cheddar for moistness and flavor. Followed your recipe from there. Very good. Thanks.