1/1 Photo of Chicken Enchiladas With Ancho Chile Cream Sauce
Mrs Goodall's Note:
This is my "signature" dish. Always get raves on them. They are a bit time consuming, especially if you decide to make your own Pico de Gallo and Guacamole, but well worth it. I sip on a margarita to make the experience most authentic! * I find that I barely have enough cream sauce, you might consider doubling it for ease. * Here is a recommendation for the order of prepping things... *Start chiles soaking (30 minutes) *Cook chicken (I just boil chicken thighs in chicken stock...they need to cool before you can shred the meat) *Drink Margarita *Butter 13x9x2 baking dish *Preheat oven to 350°F *Slice and sauté mushrooms *Drink Margarita *Make sauce *Make filling *Assemble *Cook and eat (and drink Margarita)!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 ounces light sour cream
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 4 large green onions
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin, ground fresh
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 2 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 lb button mushroom, sliced and sauteed
Ancho Chile Cream Sauce
- 1Ancho Chile Cream Sauce:.
- 2Bring 2 cups water to boil in small sauce pan. Remove pan from heat, add Ancho chiles, soak 30 minutes. Reserve 6 Tbsp of liquid, drain rest of liquid.
- 3Cut stems off of chiles, cut open and scrape out seeds. Combine Ancho chiles, reserve liquid and garlic in blender and puree.
- 4Combine cream and chile puree in heavy skillet.
- 5Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer for 3 minutes. Whisk in lime juice, season with salt. Strain sauce (not really necessary).
- 6Enchilada Filling:.
- 7Mix 1 3/4 cup sour cream, canned chiles, green onion, cilantro and cumin in large bowl.
- 8Mix in shredded chicken, mushrooms, 1 cup of cheese, tomatoes, 3 Tbsp of Ancho Chile Cream Sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
- 10Bring remaining Ancho Chile Cream Sauce to a simmer, cook tortillas in sauce for 15 seconds, coating both sides. Place tortilla in baking dish, spoon 1/2 cup of filling down center of tortilla. Roll tortilla closed, arrange seam side down.
- 11Repeat. May need another small glass dish for all enchiladas.
- 12Cover with foil and bake 30 - 45 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese. Bake uncovered until cheese melts, approximately 5 minutes.
- 13Serve with sour cream, guacamole and pico de gallo.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Enchiladas With Ancho Chile Cream Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (348 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 687.3
- Calories from Fat 416
- Total Fat 46.3 g
- Saturated Fat 26.1 g
- Cholesterol 162.2 mg
- Sodium 952.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 27.1 g