This is one of our go-to recipes, loved by adults and kids alike. Serve it with a nice green salad and some guacamole and sour cream on the side. I like to pour lime juice over the chicken just prior to removing it from the heat, it adds a certain zing. The enchilada does not need to be fully stuffed. If you stuff them full, count on 1 enchillada per person instead of 1 1/2. The dish freezes well and goes from freezer to oven.
- 6 tortillas, large
- 1 cup salsa (mild or hot depending on your preference)
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 -3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (or Monterey Jack)
- 4 green onions, chopped finely
- 2 tomatoes, chopped finely
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, chopped (optional)
- Season chicken breast liberally with salt and pepper.Cook chicken breast over medium heat, until fully cooked. Pour lime juice over chicken 1 min before removing from heat. Cool a bit.
- Shred chicken breast into semi-fine shreds.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Assemble enchiladas having all ingredients prepared and in bowls makes it quick:.
- Smear a bit of sour cream over the tortilla (not too much).
- Place salsa down the middle, approx 1 tbsp per tortilla or as per preference.
- Sprinkle chicken, green onions, tomatoes and cheese along the line of salsa. Add red onion if you are a fan of onions.
- Roll up and place in glass baking dish.
- Continue until done.
- Sprinkle a bit of cheese over the rolled up enchiladas.
- Bake in oven for 25-30 min until golden and crunchy on top.
- Serve with salad, guacamole, sour cream and salsa.