homemade enchilada sauce is so good you wont want canned again. freezes great and family always loves.
- 1 medium onion, finely diced (or onion powder for picky kids)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 6 inches tortillas (approx. 12 or can can use bigger but makes less)
- 3 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1 cup shredded cheese (mexican or favorite cheese)
- sour cream (optional)
- I cooked cubed chicken in a little oil and season salt to taste. once cooked i cool and shred. while cooling. heat veg. oil and saute onion and garlic to soften.
- Stir in broth, spices, and tomato sauce. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Dip each tortilla into sauce to coat both sides and soften. place shredded chicken (fill to your liking), some shredded cheese and drizzle a little enchilada sauce onto it.
- Roll tortilla around filling tight. Place in 9 x 13 inch pan. do until all filled.
- pour remaining sauce on top. Top with more shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees uncovered for 10 min to melt cheese. I serve with sour cream, salsa and sides of mexican rice and refried beans.