1 hr 45 mins
HEP MEP's Note:
I clipped this from The Milwaukee Journal about 10 years ago. A Mexican-American woman devised it to re-create the taste of her mother's chicken enchiladas. It's a little time-consuming, but the flavor is well-worth it
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4-1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, either canned or 1 1/2 cups reserved from boiling chicken
- 2 (4 ounce) cans of chopped green chilies
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 corn tortillas, quartered
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 2 -3 boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and shredded
- 8 -10 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream (your pleasure) or tomatoes (your pleasure) or salsa (your pleasure)
- 1Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- 2Add onion and garlic; cover and cook over low heat until onion is wilted, about 5 minutes.
- 3Check halfway through to make sure onion and garlic are not browning.
- 4Increase heat to medium and stir in flour, cumin, and pepper, stirring 2 minutes to cook rawness out of the flour.
- 5As flour begins to brown, remove pan from heat and gradually add the broth,using a wire whisk to combine.
- 6Add chilies, oregano, and salt.
- 7Bring to a boil,cover and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes,stirring occasionally.
- 8Using an 8x8 square dish coated with non-stick vegetable spray, make layers of quartered tortillas, refried beans, chicken, sauce, and cheese to a depth of 1/2 inch per layer.
- 9Repeat 3 times, ending with cheese.
- 10Tightly cover pan with foil and bake at 375°F for 45 minutes.
- 11Garnish with sour cream.
- 12Note: Recipe may be doubled--if so, use a 9x13-inch pan.
- 13You can also add 1 to 2 tbsp of green chili salsa when adding chilies and oregano.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Enchilada Pie
Serving Size: 1 (459 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 940.2
- Calories from Fat 403
- Total Fat 44.8 g
- Saturated Fat 19.9 g
- Cholesterol 146.3 mg
- Sodium 1786.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.6 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 56.7 g