1/2 Photos of Chicken Chimichangas
1 hr 15 mins
For an even more authentic taste saute in oil beore baking, you can also make these using cooked turkey. Adjust all seasonings to taste. The cayenne pepper is optional, add for more heat. These are easy to make!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 cups picante sauce (or use salsa)
- 6 -8 cups cooked chicken, chopped (or use cooked turkey)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 20 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 4 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese (or use cheddar cheese)
- vegetable oil, for brushing
- salsa or picante sauce
- 1Set oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Prepare a greased baking sheet.
- 3In a large saucepan or Dutch oven combine the picante sauce with chopped chicken, onion, cumin, oregano and cayenne (if using) cook uncovered stirring often for about 30 minutes or until some of liquid has evaporated; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 4Spoon about 1/3 cup of the mixture below center of each tortilla, then top with about 3 tablespoons of shredded cheese.
- 5Fold in two sides of the tortillas to enclose the filling, then fold over top and bottom edges of the tortillas (making a rectangle).
- 6Secure with wooden picks.
- 7Place folded-side down on a greased baking sheet.
- 8Lightly brush the tops with vegetable oil (sprinkle lightly with salt if desired).
- 9Bake for about 8-10 minutes; using a spatula turn the chimichangas and bake for about 5 minutes more.
- 10Serve with picante sauce or salsa and sour cream.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Chimichangas
Serving Size: 1 (152 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 352.7
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 59.2 mg
- Sodium 822.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 21.2 g