Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 mins
Crunchy, cheesy, and delicious. From Some Like it Hot by the Junior League of McAllen TX. Whenever we grill we always cook extra chicken for chalupas, enchiladas, paninis, etc. This recipe can easily be halved.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cooked and chopped
- 1 cup chopped green onion, include the tops
- 2 large pickled jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped (if you like the heat use the seeds too)
- 1⁄4 cup jalapeno juice, from the jars
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1 (4 ounce) jar pimientos (chopped and drained)
- 12 -18 crisp fried flat corn tortillas (known as Chalupas)
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese
- shredded lettuce
- diced tomatoes
- diced onion
- guacamole (Guadalupe's Guacamole)
- Mix chicken with green onions, jalapenos, pepper juice, pimentos and sour cream.
- Spread over chalupa shells.
- Top with some grated cheese.
- Broil until bubbly.
- Top with topping ingredients.
These were very good, and easy to make. Rather than buying Chalupa shells, which are fried, I bought a package of corn tortillas, sprayed them with just a little cooking spray, and baked them. They were great.
I made this for lunch today and really enjoyed it! It was fairly quick to put together ( I had some left over chicken) and it was delish! I will be making this on a regular basis... I made for ZWT 4. Thanks for posting!
I have never actually made Chalupas before, and this was an easy dinner. We probably could have used some more heat, maybe used fresh jalapenos instead of pickled. I did spread the kids chalupas before I added the jalapeno, although after tasting them, I probably could have saved myself the trouble. I couldn't find pimentos at the store, and forgot to pick up monterey jack, so I left out the first and subbed cheddar cheese for the second. :) Also, another name for Chalupa shells (and the name they go by most frequently down here) is tostada. Thank you for posting, made for ZWT4.