Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Posted for Zaar World Tour 2005. Pickled onions are served alongside meat dishes all over Mexico, but you can serve them with anything you want, like me when I make this recipe! Will last in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks. The lime juice, zest and grapefruit make something called sour orange juice. I've never heard of it, can't buy it in the store and I wouldn't want to experiment with regular orange juice to make it! The beet juice is used to turn the onions red(der). Serving size is a guess. Chilling time is included in cooking time. From a special issue of Saveur, The Best of Tex-Mex Cooking.
- 1 medium beet, trimmed, peeled and coarsely grated
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 lb red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 2⁄3 cup grapefruit juice
- Put beets in medium saucepan and add garlic, bay leaves, vinegar and 4 cups water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to medium, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Put onions in a medium bowl. Strain hot beet cooking liquid over onions and set aside to rest until onions soften slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Drain onions and return to bowl. Add sour orange juice (or lime juice, lime zest and grapefruit juice) and salt to taste and toss well.
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour before serving.
Hi! The recipe is wonderful! IÂ´m from Mexico and I just wanted to say that we have an orange that is actually sour. We call it "naranja acida" (sour orange). ItÂ´s skin is like an normal orange but has a lot of lumps in it and the color is a bit more green. We make juice out of it too! But we add sugar, because itÂ´s realy sour. The recipe works perfect with limons or limes. Thanks for sharing MexicoÂ´s recipes to the world!
Excellent, Very close to what I had in Mexico. I sliced mine too thin though and they were a little stringy, will go a little thicker on the next batch. Thanks for the great recipe!
Oh my, these are fantastic!!! I made this morning and just sneaked a bite and they are DELICIOUS-reminds me of the Yucatan-can't wait to serve them! I made recipe exactly as written and I must stress the importance of slicing onions as thin as possible. Thank you, Kumquat, for a great recipe! Made for the Think Pink Tag Game In Honor of Breast Cancer Awareness, October 2008.