Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A great make ahead recipe for tamales or tacos. No slow cooking because this recipe used Trader Joe's Traditional Carnitas a Mexican oven roasted pork. Just shred and add to the rest of the ingredients. For a little extra boast add some of Red Chili Sauce (To Be Used With Traditional Tamales).
- 12 ounces oven roasted cooked pork, Shredded
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large vidalia onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- In a pan heat oil then add the last 6 ingredients and cook over medium heat till softened about 20 minutes. Stirring every couple minutes.
- Mix in shredded pork.
- This can be made ahead up three month in freezer container. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
- Fill your favorite wraps, corn or flour tortillas or tacos garnish as you please with sour cream, salsa, avocado -- .
I had a ton of leftovers from a pork butt roast that I wanted to do something different with. We increased the onions, added chipotle powder and served with flour tortillas, salsa verde, sour cream, cheese, lettuce and tomato. We also want to try this with sauteed bell pepper and tomato for a fajita-type filling. Seasonings were delicious. Absolutely a must try recipe for Mexican food lovers!
*Yummers* this made our Tacos over the top. Loved the ease in preparation and the flavors just perfect. I added more cumin, and a tsp of minced dried onions and a dash of cayenne to the mix. . . otherwise made recipe as stated. Served in warmed corn tortillas and salsa. *Keeper* Thanks Rita for a tasty recipe. (Made for Bevy Tag 7/08)