1/3 Photos of Carnitas De Michoacan
2 hrs 30 mins
Mexican Sweetheart's Note:
This is my hubby's favorite dish from his homeland (Michoacan). I found that the original recipe is too fattening. This is my revised version. You make great tacos with these carnitas. Serve them up with your favorite Mexican salsa such as pico de gallo or homemade guacamole.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs boneless pork shoulder, cut in 4 inch pieces
- 1 orange, zest of, cute into wide strips
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium Spanish onion, chopped
- 1 head garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon (I recommend Knorr)
- 2 tablespoons lard (such as Morrell)
- 1 cup water, as needed
- 12 corn tortillas
- salt and pepper
- 1Start with removing any excess pieces of fat from the pork.
- 2In a large,heavy saucepan, place the pork along with the orange zest, orange juice, cumin, bay leaves, onion, garlic and bouillon.
- 3Fill with water just so it barely covers the pork.
- 4Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- 5Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for about 2 hours.
- 6Turn off the heat and allow the meat to cool and any excess fat to raise to the top.
- 7Remove the excess fat, and place the cooled pork in a large bowl.
- 8Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 9In a separate fry pan, heat the lard and fry the pork pieces for about 6 minutes, just so they turn golden; allow them to cool.
- 10Using your hands, pull the meat apart.
- 11In a comal over medium heat, heat the tortillas.
- 12Once you heated all of the tortillas, make tacos with the shredded meat and add your own favorite Mexican salsa.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carnitas De Michoacan
Serving Size: 1 (302 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 845.6
- Calories from Fat 491
- Total Fat 54.6 g
- Saturated Fat 18.7 g
- Cholesterol 167.2 mg
- Sodium 212.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 43.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of