Cook1 hr 30 mins
I love experimenting with spices. I came up with a way to make Carnitas on the grill. Instead of heating up the kitchen, throw all your seasoning on the meat and marinade overnight or all day.... cook in a foil packet on the grill.... Family favorite.... ;) Three ways to cook this dish.... so it can be enjoyed year round. My favorite is slow cooking then grilling for 5 minutes.. gives a nice tender texture and crisp chared outside with great flavor! Sometimes I will add a cup of water to the crockpot making the meat very tender and can be shredded for burritos. This is my Burrito Filling Recipe. So anyway you cook it.... they come out GREAT!
- 1360.77 g boneless pork, picnic shoulder (for Carnitas)
- 9.85 ml black pepper
- 4.92 ml garlic powder
- 4.92 ml instant minced garlic
- 4.92 ml onion powder
- 4.92 ml dried onion flakes
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml onion salt
- 2.46 ml dried oregano
- 2.46 ml dried cilantro
- 1.23 ml ground cumin
- 2.46 ml ground red pepper
- chopped fresh cilantro
- chopped white onion
- shredded lettuce (I like romaine)
- Combine all seasoning in a bowl, mix well.
- Pleace meat in separate bowl and sprinkle seasoning and rub generously over meat - using all seasoning.
- Make Foil packet by laying out 2 long sheets of Heavy Duty Aluminium foil and make a cross.
- place meat on foil. Bring up sides of foil and fold making a packet.
- refrigerate for 6 hours (I marinade overnight, this gives it time to meld).
- SLOW COOKED: After marinating, place in a crockpot, cook 4 hours - the meat becomes very tender. Then transfer to a plate -- over Med-High Grill for 5 minutes to get a nice grill mark and crisp. Shred and eat in Tacos with Beans and Rice **** Our Favorite way to eat them*****.
- Or add 1 cup of water to the crockpot -- this makes the meat very tender and can be shredded for Burritos or tacos. (My Burrito Filling Recipe).
- Preheat Grill- to 325 Place meat foil packet on grill and cover on indirect heat. Cook for 30 minutes then turn packet over and cook additional 30 minutes -- once more turn 30 minutes.
- Open foil packet carefully, With a fork remove from foil and place on the heat for 10 minutes and grill until grilled lines appear on outside.
- Serve in warm corn tortillas or with rice and beans. Or by itself.
- Preheat oven 325'.
- arrange meat in 9x13x2 baking pan into single layers.
- Cover pan tightly with foil.
- Bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until very tender.
- Remove foil from pan and bake additional 15-20 minutes until meat is crisp on the outside.
My husband and I enjoyed this soooo much tonight! By itself the pork was not "fabulous" but with some avocado, corn tortilla, sour cream, tomato, red onion and cilantro, it was one of the BEST things I have eaten in months. Only used half the pork roast with the crock pot then grilled method. The other half is still cooking with 1/2 cup of water to be shredded later tonight and frozen. My husband has asked for this again. Thank you for a great staple recipe!