1/3 Photos of Carnitas 3 Ways
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Vseward (Chef~V)'s Note:
I love experimenting with spices. I came up with a way to make Carnitas on the grill. Instead of heating up the kitchen, throw all your seasoning on the meat and marinade overnight or all day.... cook in a foil packet on the grill.... Family favorite.... ;) Three ways to cook this dish.... so it can be enjoyed year round. My favorite is slow cooking then grilling for 5 minutes.. gives a nice tender texture and crisp chared outside with great flavor! Sometimes I will add a cup of water to the crockpot making the meat very tender and can be shredded for burritos. This is my Burrito Filling Recipe. So anyway you cook it.... they come out GREAT!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs boneless pork, picnic shoulder (for Carnitas)
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon instant minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1Combine all seasoning in a bowl, mix well.
- 2Pleace meat in separate bowl and sprinkle seasoning and rub generously over meat - using all seasoning.
- 3Make Foil packet by laying out 2 long sheets of Heavy Duty Aluminium foil and make a cross.
- 4place meat on foil. Bring up sides of foil and fold making a packet.
- 5refrigerate for 6 hours (I marinade overnight, this gives it time to meld).
- 6SLOW COOKED: After marinating, place in a crockpot, cook 4 hours - the meat becomes very tender. Then transfer to a plate -- over Med-High Grill for 5 minutes to get a nice grill mark and crisp. Shred and eat in Tacos with Beans and Rice **** Our Favorite way to eat them*****.
- 7Or add 1 cup of water to the crockpot -- this makes the meat very tender and can be shredded for Burritos or tacos. (My Burrito Filling Recipe).
- 9Preheat Grill- to 325 Place meat foil packet on grill and cover on indirect heat. Cook for 30 minutes then turn packet over and cook additional 30 minutes -- once more turn 30 minutes.
- 10Open foil packet carefully, With a fork remove from foil and place on the heat for 10 minutes and grill until grilled lines appear on outside.
- 11Serve in warm corn tortillas or with rice and beans. Or by itself.
- 13Preheat oven 325'.
- 14arrange meat in 9x13x2 baking pan into single layers.
- 15Cover pan tightly with foil.
- 16Bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until very tender.
- 17Remove foil from pan and bake additional 15-20 minutes until meat is crisp on the outside.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carnitas 3 Ways
Serving Size: 1 (138 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 372.8
- Calories from Fat 229
- Total Fat 25.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 113.9 mg
- Sodium 385.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 32.4 g