Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
This is a recipe that will knock your socks off! Needs to be refrigerate overnight. It's a good change from bacon or sausage for breakfast or brunch. It is also good served rolled in warmed flour tortillas for lunch or dinner.
- 1 large texas yellow onion, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup rotel diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, juice drained
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chili pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 lbs top round beef (cut into 4 or 5 large pieces)
- In a large, heavy pan with a lid, over medium heat, sauté onions, Ro-tel, red chili flakes, Tabasco, black pepper and cumin, adding a little water only as needed to keep the mixture from sticking.
- Stir frequently, cooking until the onion is translucent and tender.
- Add tomatoes with their liquid and stir well.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- There won't be much liquid at this point.
- Add beef.
- Reduce heat to simmer, cover pot and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1-1/2 hours or until beef is thoroughly tender.
- When beef has cooled, refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, shred beef pieces, using fingers.
- Skim and fat from cooking juices and return beef to pan.
- Reheat over low heat and serve.
This is so good! I made this for a burrito filling. Everyone liked it very much. I like how simple and easy this recipe is. The next day I put it all into the crockpot and set it to warm. We had a nice dinner waiting for us. I think leaving it overnight really lets the flavors come together. I didn't measure the diced tomatoes, but just used the whole can. Made and Reviewed for Zaar Tag - Thanks! :)