1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This is a recipe that will knock your socks off! Needs to be refrigerate overnight. It's a good change from bacon or sausage for breakfast or brunch. It is also good served rolled in warmed flour tortillas for lunch or dinner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large texas yellow onion, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup rotel diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, juice drained
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chili pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 lbs top round beef (cut into 4 or 5 large pieces)
- 1In a large, heavy pan with a lid, over medium heat, sauté onions, Ro-tel, red chili flakes, Tabasco, black pepper and cumin, adding a little water only as needed to keep the mixture from sticking.
- 2Stir frequently, cooking until the onion is translucent and tender.
- 3Add tomatoes with their liquid and stir well.
- 4Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- 5There won't be much liquid at this point.
- 6Add beef.
- 7Reduce heat to simmer, cover pot and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1-1/2 hours or until beef is thoroughly tender.
- 8When beef has cooled, refrigerate overnight.
- 9The next day, shred beef pieces, using fingers.
- 10Skim and fat from cooking juices and return beef to pan.
- 11Reheat over low heat and serve.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carne Machaca
Serving Size: 1 (179 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 220.6
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 69.1 mg
- Sodium 203.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 25.0 g