Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 15 mins
Tex-Mex style beef stew. Great all by itself, with rice, tortillas and sliced avocados. Perfect over the top of cheese enchiladas. Use leftovers over nachos. You can added Jalapenos or other chilis if you want more kick, but the rotell tomatoes add a little kick already. Serve with some sour cream to cut the heat.
- 3 lbs chuck roast or 3 lbs beef shoulder
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 large bell peppers
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 (12 ounce) canmild Rotel tomatoes & chilies
- water, to equal 2 cups total liquid
- 1 (4 ounce) can tomato sauce
- cut roast up into bite-sized chunks, discarding fat.
- brown beef well in oil on all sides.
- chop onion and peppers, and add to pot. Cook 7 min or so, until softened.
- Add all spices and flour, and stir. Mixture will be thick. Cook 2 minutes.
- Combine can of tomatoes in measuring cup with water to equal 2 cups, then add to pot.
- Bring to boil.
- Turn to simmer, cover and cook 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add 4oz tomato sauce and cook another 15 minutes.
- Dish is finished when beef is very tender, and flakes with fork.
So easy and absolutely delicious! You can't go wrong with this authentic carne guisada