1/2 Photos of Carne Asada
Chef Jeff S's Note:
The spices found in the achiote rojo has a very complex and have a deep flavor. Avoid the urge to taste it before diluting it. You will most definitely get the wrong impression of this Mayan mix. If you have trouble finding achiote rojo in your regular market, try a store that caters to the local Hispanics. I direct grill this recipe with a mix of regular charcoal and mesquite charcoal. But it's your choice... you're the chef! Prep time does not include time to marinade.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Break up achiote rojo into a powder, or as best you can as it is a little moist.
- 2Mix remaining ingredients except meat into the achiote rojo. Mix well to break up any large pieces of the achiote.
- 3Place meat in a container or your choice to marinade in and pour the achiote rojo mixture on and work it into the meat.
- 4Cover and marinade for as long as possible. Time DOES NOT indicate marinade time.
- 5Get the grill going, pop a beer and get busy. Remember, the wood charcoal is very hot. I get it so my hand can stand the heat test for 2-3 seconds. Closer to 2 seconds, though.
- 6Put the meat on the grill. Let the meat get good and charred then turn over. Grill for a few minutes and the meat is almost done. At this point make a foil sack to put the meat in . Push the coals away from one side of the grill, put meat in foil sack so that all the meat is covered. Then just put the meat sack on the side where no coals are. They will finish cooking in their own juices.
- 7When done let the meat rest a few minutes. Cut on a bias and roll 'em up in tortillas and salsa of choice.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carne Asada
Serving Size: 1 (108 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 157.0
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 37.5 mg
- Sodium 69.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 19.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: