1/1 Photo of Carne Adovada (Red Chile and Pork Stew)
2 hrs 45 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
My aunt brought me a trunk load of dried red chiles and chile powder so I have been finding recipes to use them up. This was delicious a bit spicy so make sure you can take some heat before giving this one a try - or you might sub some of the New Mexico Chile Powder for California Chile powder. This makes great burritos with beans and sour cream.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 1/2 lbs boneless pork shoulder, fat trimmed and meat cut into 1 1/2-in . cubes (butt)
- 1 cup ground red dried New Mexico chile
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (I replaced some of the broth with chicken boullion and water)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1Preheat oven to 350°. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large, heavy-bottomed, ovenproof pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring, until onions are golden, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer onions and garlic to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
- 2In a large bowl, stir together flour, salt, cumin, and pepper. Add pork and toss to coat. Return pot to medium-high heat, add remaining 1 tablespoons oil, and, working in batches, lightly brown meat on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes per batch. Transfer meat to a separate bowl as you go.
- 3Return onions and garlic to pot. Sprinkle with ground chiles and cook, stirring, 2 minutes (mixture will be thick- I added some of the broth at this point to keep the chile from burning). Add the rest of the broth, stirring to loosen browned bits from bottom of pot. Whirl sauce in a blender until smooth. Return sauce to pot and add bay leaf and reserved pork (I also added the pork bone).
- 44. Cover pot, put in oven, and cook 1 hour. Set lid slightly ajar and cook until pork is fork-tender, about 1 hour more. Remove bay leaf and season with additional salt before serving.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carne Adovada (Red Chile and Pork Stew)
Serving Size: 1 (484 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 813.6
- Calories from Fat 556
- Total Fat 61.8 g
- Saturated Fat 19.7 g
- Cholesterol 188.0 mg
- Sodium 817.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 49.1 g