This is a spicy delicious Mexican chicken soup. It's flavor only gets better the next day. A flavorful homemade stock really makes this soup, but commercial stock is good too, just make sure you check for saltiness before adding additional salt. Personally, I like a spicier soup, so I would add 2-3 chipotle chiles
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 quarts good chicken stock or 2 quarts broth
- 1 lb cooked chicken breast, torn into large shreds
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs (marjoram and thyme)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 15 ounces canned garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 canned chipotle chile, minced
- 1 ripe avocado, for garnish
- 1 large lime, cut in wedges
- 1Add the olive oil to a soup pot, and saute the onion and carrot, over medium heat, until the onions begins to brown slightly, about 7 miutes.
- 2Add the garlic and cook another minute.
- 3Stir in the chicken broth and garbanzo beans.
- 4Partially cover the pot, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 5Add the chile, cilantro, and shredded chicken to the soup to heat through.
- 6Ladle the soup into bowls and top with diced avocado.
- 7Serve with a slice of lime on the side.
Nutritional Facts for Caldo Tlalpeno
Serving Size: 1 (556 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 662.0
- Calories from Fat 239
- Total Fat 26.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 109.6 mg
- Sodium 1316.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.6 g
- Sugars 10.8 g
- Protein 52.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: