Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a spicy delicious Mexican chicken soup. It's flavor only gets better the next day. A flavorful homemade stock really makes this soup, but commercial stock is good too, just make sure you check for saltiness before adding additional salt. Personally, I like a spicier soup, so I would add 2-3 chipotle chiles
- 2 quarts good chicken stock or 2 quarts broth
- 1 lb cooked chicken breast, torn into large shreds
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs (marjoram and thyme)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 15 ounces canned garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 canned chipotle chile, minced
- 1 ripe avocado, for garnish
- 1 large lime, cut in wedges
- Add the olive oil to a soup pot, and saute the onion and carrot, over medium heat, until the onions begins to brown slightly, about 7 miutes.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Stir in the chicken broth and garbanzo beans.
- Partially cover the pot, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the chile, cilantro, and shredded chicken to the soup to heat through.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with diced avocado.
- Serve with a slice of lime on the side.
Excellent recipe! I did modify mine slightly to exclude the beans and carrots then I created a paste with the onions, garlic and chipotle and cooked with the chicken followed by adding the broth. Which resulted in a great flavor profile and I garnished with mexican cheese, cilantro and seasoned tortilla strips.
I tasted this sopa in a restaurant in New Mexico for the first time and wanted a recipe that replicated the great taste. This recipe is IT! I used organic chicken stock and oregano, cumin and thyme for the herbs and added a bay leaf. I also added celery and it tasted great.