3 hrs 10 mins
A good traditional spicy beef soup. Add as much heat to this with peppers as you like.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb beef shank, cubed
- 1 tomato, quartered
- 2 potatoes, cubed
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 head cabbage, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, to taste (or other peppers to your taste)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, to taste
- water, to cover
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1In a large pot combine the beef, tomato, potatoes, onion, carrots, cabbage, garlic, 5 teaspoons of the cilantro, cayenne, salt, and pepper.
- 2Add water to cover and stir well.
- 3Cover and simmer on low for 2 hours.
- 4Uncover, stir, and simmer for an additional hour uncovered.
- 5Just before serving, stir in the cumin, squeeze in fresh lime juice to taste and sprinkle with remaining cilantro; serve and enjoy.
- 6Corn may also be added to this recipe, as well as a dollop of sour cream as garnish.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caldo De Res (Beef Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (460 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 453.0
- Calories from Fat 154
- Total Fat 17.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 90.8 mg
- Sodium 1875.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 9.2 g
- Protein 39.8 g