Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A good traditional spicy beef soup. Add as much heat to this with peppers as you like.
Make and share this Caldo De Res (Beef Soup) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb beef shank, cubed
- 1 tomato, quartered
- 2 potatoes, cubed
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne, to taste (or other peppers to your taste)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, to taste
- water, to cover
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a large pot combine the beef, tomato, potatoes, onion, carrots, cabbage, garlic, 5 teaspoons of the cilantro, cayenne, salt, and pepper.
- Add water to cover and stir well.
- Cover and simmer on low for 2 hours.
- Uncover, stir, and simmer for an additional hour uncovered.
- Just before serving, stir in the cumin, squeeze in fresh lime juice to taste and sprinkle with remaining cilantro; serve and enjoy.
- Corn may also be added to this recipe, as well as a dollop of sour cream as garnish.