4 hrs 15 mins
3 hrs 55 mins
This is something like a soup crossed with a stew. It can be a little messy to eat. This recipe is from a now closed taqueria in San Francisco.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 lbs beef chuck steaks, cut into 1/2- inch cubes
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 lb red potatoes, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 ears corn, shrucked and cut into 1-inch-thick-rounds
- 1 zucchini, cut into thick matchsticks, 1 inch long
- 1/2 head green cabbage, cored, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat; add the meat and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- 2Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
- 3Add the tomatoes, broth, bay leaf and oregano. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 1 1/2 hours, partially covered.
- 4Stir in the potatoes, carrot, and corn; continue to cook for 15 minutes.
- 5Add zucchini, cabbage, and cilantro and cook until all vegetables are to your liking.
- 6Discard the bay leaf and season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into warm bowls and pass the diced onion, cilantro, lime wedges, and tortillas at the table.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caldo De Res (Beef Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (728 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1134.6
- Calories from Fat 487
- Total Fat 54.1 g
- Saturated Fat 18.3 g
- Cholesterol 131.1 mg
- Sodium 1760.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 109.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.2 g
- Sugars 12.4 g
- Protein 53.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: