1 hr 25 mins
Leslie in Texas's Note:
This is a south-of-the-border version of chicken noodle soup. It's originally from the food section of the February 18, 2009 Houston Chronicle and comes from the cookbook "Zarela's Veracruz" by Zarela Martinez with Anne Mendelson. Fideo noodles are nested thin noodles and can be found in the Mexican or ethnic section of most grocery stores.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 chicken, cut into quarters (3 1/2 to 4 lb. chicken)
- 2 small white onions (1 unpeeled, divided uses)
- 6 garlic cloves (2 unpeeled,divided uses)
- 1 1/2-2 teaspoons salt
- 10 black peppercorns
- 15 mint sprigs
- 7 -8 cups water
- 3 ancho chilies, stemmed and seeded
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (10 ounce) package fideo noodles (or about 8 oz. vermicelli)
- fresh ground pepper, to taste (optional)
- sliced fresh jalapeno pepper, for garnish
- 1Place chicken in stockpot or Dutch oven with unpeeled onion, the 2 unpeeled garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon salt,peppercorns and 3 sprigs mint.
- 2Add enough water to cover by 2 inches and bring to a boil over high heat.
- 3At once, reduce heat to maintain low rolling boil; skim off any froth that rises to top.
- 4Cook, partly covered, until chicken is tender, 20-25 minutes; remove pot from heat and let chicken cool in stock.
- 5Lift out chicken pieces. Discard skin, remove meat from bones and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- 6Strain stock into a bowl, discarding solids. Rinse out and dry pot.
- 7Place chiles in small bowl and cover with 2 cups of the hot stock. Let sit for 20 minutes; transfer chiles and soaking liquid to blender and puree with remaining peeled and coarsely chopped onion and 4 peeled and quartered garlic cloves.
- 8Add oil to clean stockpot and heat over medium-high heat until rippling.
- 9Add the nests of fideos and brown lightly on both sides. If using vermicelli, stir-fry until lightly browned.
- 10Lift out with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- 11Pour out all but a thin film of oil from pot.
- 12Add pureed chile mixture, reduce heat to low and cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 13Add chicken, fried noodles and remaining stock. Bring to a boil and taste for salt, adding a little if it seems flat.
- 14Cook over low heat until noodles are al dente, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- 15Meanwhile, chop remaining mint. Add most of the mint to the soup; serve immediately with a sprinkling of the remaining mint, a few grinds of black pepper if desired and several jalapeno slices.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caldo De Pollo Con Fideo
Serving Size: 1 (333 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 630.5
- Calories from Fat 315
- Total Fat 35.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 154.9 mg
- Sodium 709.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 36.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: