I adopted this recipe after Mean Chef (IHHDRO) left the site. His original comments were, "This is a very simple and delicious broiled chicken breast dish. It is from Rick Bayless. The flavor comes from the use of chipotles and creme fraiche." My original review stated, "Very easy, but wonderfully tasty meal. I used whipping cream, as creme fraiche is not available in my area. I also doubled the sauce and the spinach, as advised by *Shelly*. It was great. My only mistake was to add an extra chipotle to the mix...it was just a little spicy for my tastes, but my hubby had no complaints. There were no leftovers with this dinner." We have since made this many times and always enjoy it.
- 3 chipotle chiles in adobo, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups crema (I use creme fraiche) or 1 1⁄4 cups whipping cream (I use creme fraiche) or 1 1⁄4 cups creme fraiche (I use creme fraiche)
- 4 medium boneless skinless chicken breast halves, trimmed of all extraneous fat (about 1-1/3 pounds total)
- 1⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 6 cups spinach, stemmed, well rinsed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Marinating the chicken: Combine the chopped canned chipotles with 2 tablespoons of the cream.
- Smear over the chicken breasts, cover and refrigerate for several hours, if time permits, for the chilies to season the chicken.
- Finishing the dish: Lay the chicken breasts in a broiler-proof baking dish just large enough to hold them comfortably.
- Set 6 inches below a very hot broiler and cook until richly brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Turn the breasts over, drizzle the remaining 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cream around them and set under the broiler.
- Cook until the chicken is deep golden and no longer squishy feeling when lightly pressed, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to 4 warm dinner plates and keep warm in a low oven.
- Scrape the cream mixture into a medium-large (3- to 4- quart) saucepan and add the broth and the spinach.
- Bring to a boil over high heat and cook, stirring nearly constantly, until the spinach is wilted and the cream is reduced and thick, about 3 minutes.
- Taste and season with salt, then spoon around the chicken breasts and serve right away.