1 hr 30 mins
Barb Gertz's Note:
My DD makes this chile verde whenever we get together for Mexican dinners. It is a family favorite. The recipe is from a Sunset Mexican Cookbook,from 1977. Mild canned California green chiles season this meaty pork stew. Serve it with rice or as a burrito filling. For Burritos, spoon pork into warm, soft flour tortillas, add sour cream, tomato wedges, and a squeeze of lime juice and fold to enclose. We also serve this Chile Verde with Tamales. This chile Verde is also good served with scrambled eggs, Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs lean boneless pork butt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (I add more)
- 2 large green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 (7 ounce) can california green chilies, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1Trim and discard fat and cut pork in 1-inch cubes.
- 2In a large frying pan, heat oil over mediun-high heat; add meat a few cubes at a time and cook until very brown.
- 3Push meat to side of pan and add onion, garlic and bell peppers; saute until limp.
- 4Stir in chiles, oregano, cumin, salt, cilantro, vinegar, and water.
- 5Cover and simmer until meat is fork tender(about 1 hour).
- 6Skim off fat & discard.
- 7Serve with rice or make burritos or serve in your favorite way.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Pork With Green Chile Sauce of Chile Verde
Serving Size: 1 (393 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 582.8
- Calories from Fat 364
- Total Fat 40.5 g
- Saturated Fat 12.7 g
- Cholesterol 149.6 mg
- Sodium 725.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 44.0 g