1/6 Photos of Black Beans in Chipotle Adobo Sauce
The perfect lazy-person's gourmet side or main course. A simple adobo sauce is drizzled on top. From "Veganomicon" by Isa Moskowitz.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups cold water
- 1 large onion, peeled and halved
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Chipotle adobo sauce
- 1Combine the beans, onion, bay leaf and water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then let boil for 1 minute. Lower the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 40 minutes, until the beans are very tender and about half the water has evaporated. Remove the bay leaf and onion before serving.
- 2While the beans are cooking, prepare the chipotle adobo sauce: In a heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat, saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil until the onion is very soft, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in the chipotles and adobo sauce, cook for 30 seconds, and remove from heat.
- 3Allow to cool a few minutes, empty the sauce into a food processor bowl, and briefly pulse until a chunky sauce forms. You may also use an immersion blender to do this. Serve the sauce drizzled over individual servings of beans.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Beans in Chipotle Adobo Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (419 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 406.2
- Calories from Fat 102
- Total Fat 11.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 8.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.6 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 19.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo