1001 Low Fat Vegetarian.
Make and share this Black Beans and Rice recipe from Food.com.
- Spray saucepan with cooking spray. Heat over medium until hot.
- Saute onions and garlic until tender; about 5 minutes.
- Add rice; cook over medium heat until rice is lightly browned, 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add broth to saucepan and heat to boiling; reduce heat and simmer, covered, until rice is tender, 20-25 minutes, adding beans during the last 5 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro, season to taste with salt and pepper.
Great "Hamburger Helper" dish! I loved the one pot meal, as others did. I started by browning 3/4 pound ground beef (96%) with purple onions and a tiny bit of bell pepper. I used beef broth because I had no vegetable. I proceeded with recipe as directed. Seasoned with some dry cilantro from the pantry. Topped with some shredded mexi cheese, served alongside sour cream and guacamole! YUM! Cheap, great, fast!
i desperately needed to go to the grocery and felt like i had nothing to cook. that is until i found this recipe. i would definitely recommend using a non-stick skillet for this recipe so you don't end up scraping rice off the bottom of your pan. i sprinkled some mexican blended cheese on top but some sour cream would have been amazing. i didn't have green onions so i skipped them. turned out just fine. and i love cooking in just one pan. thank you dicentra for sharing this recipe and saving me from starvation! :-)
Delicious!! I omitted the chopped onion, and used a bit more green onion. I also used chicken broth instead of vegetable. It couldn't have been better. Cilantro gives it the perfect flavor. The whole family loved it!