2 hrs 30 mins
Idle Chef's Note:
Years ago this was in our local news paper as a contest winner. I have shared it over the years and have gotten back raves. If you use ground beef which I have done with success try to use a lean ground or cook 1/2 way drain the fat. Since the key to this recipe is to infuse the beef with the peppers, onion and garlic you need to saute it along with the meat or add it in 1/2 way if using a fattier ground.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 15 ounces black beans, drained
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large green peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -4 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1Trim excess fat from roast & cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Heat oil in dutch oven over medium heat until oil is hot. Add green peppers,onion, jalapenos, and garlic. Saute this for 10 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
- 2Increase heat to HIGH and add cubed beef.
- 3Cook for 6 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, stirring frequently.
- 4Reduce heat to low and stir in chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper.
- 5Cook and stir 1 minute and add tomatos.
- 6Cover and simmer around 1.5 hours (if you can wait).
- 7Add beans and simmer 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef and Black Bean Chili
Serving Size: 1 (434 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 592.3
- Calories from Fat 342
- Total Fat 38.0 g
- Saturated Fat 13.2 g
- Cholesterol 104.3 mg
- Sodium 817.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.6 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 35.0 g