1/5 Photos of Bean and Sweet Potato Nachos
1 hr 25 mins
Karen Elizabeth's Note:
A good twist on traditional nachos, these come from Linda McCartneys World Of Vegetarian Cooking. In fact, I did not make the sweet potato part, but I did make the rest of the recipe, and really loved the tomato/bean sauce. Omitting the sweet potatoes decreases cooking time by approx 60 minutes. I used only one whole green pepper, since I had no red pepper. I also made a spicy avocado guacamole, (see notes at end of recipe), and whipped some sour cream to accompany this, we loved it. Hope you enjoy them too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small red chili, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 400 g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 medium red pepper, diced
- 1/2 medium green pepper, diced
- 280 g tinned red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 225 g tortilla chips (corn)
- 225 g cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander, leaf
- 1 medium avocado, peeled, stoned and sliced
- 125 ml sour cream
If you make guacamole you will need
- 1In a large baking dish, mix the sweet potato, 2 tblsp of oil, cumin and coriander seeds, and bake, uncovered, at 180C/350F/gas mark 4, for 50-60 minutes until tender. (NB I did not make this part of the recipe)(If you also choose to omit this step, preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4 now.).
- 2Heat the remaining oil gently in a pan and add the onion, garlic, chilli and paprika.
- 3Cover and cook until the onion is soft, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4Add the tomatoes with their juice, and the peppers, and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- 5Stir in the beans.
- 6Divide the corn chips between four individual ovenproof dishes, top with the bean mixture, then the sweet potato, and finish with the cheese.
- 7Bake for 10 minutes until the nachos are well heated through, and the cheese has melted.
- 8Serve sprinkled with coriander, with avocado and soured cream served separately.
- 9NOTE: I made a simple guacamole with the avocado.
- 10I mashed it with a tblsp lemon juice, then I added a chopped fresh tomato, a few drops of hot pepper sauce, and some ground salt and pepper.
- 11I beat some lemon juice into a cup of cream.(I used more than recipe states, I like sour cream!).
- 12I then served these separately, they were delicious with the nachos!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bean and Sweet Potato Nachos
Serving Size: 1 (579 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 962.8
- Calories from Fat 501
- Total Fat 55.7 g
- Saturated Fat 19.1 g
- Cholesterol 72.8 mg
- Sodium 694.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 92.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.2 g
- Sugars 12.8 g
- Protein 30.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: