Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
My friend Alice is Mexican and of course makes spanish rice, lol. She gave me her recipe, which is basically by eyeball. I know it by heart and it is the best spanish rice! For a quick change, I sometimes use curry instead of cumin..great taste! You can also add some frozen carrots and peas..
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups water (chicken broth or bouillon gives great flavor)
- 3 ounces tomato juice
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon italian seasoning
- Heat olive oil in large sautee pan.
- Add onion, garlic, and rice to hot oil.
- Slightly cook rice mixture on low heat for 1-2 minutes, keep rice moving or it will burn.
- Add water and tomato sauce.
- Bring to roiling boil.
- Add all spices and seasonings.
- Slightly stir, reduce flame to simmer, and cover.
- Simmer for 15-20 minute or until majority of liquid is absorbed.