Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My friend Alice is Mexican and of course makes spanish rice, lol. She gave me her recipe, which is basically by eyeball. I know it by heart and it is the best spanish rice! For a quick change, I sometimes use curry instead of cumin..great taste! You can also add some frozen carrots and peas..
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups water (chicken broth or bouillon gives great flavor)
- 3 ounces tomato juice
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon italian seasoning
- Heat olive oil in large sautee pan.
- Add onion, garlic, and rice to hot oil.
- Slightly cook rice mixture on low heat for 1-2 minutes, keep rice moving or it will burn.
- Add water and tomato sauce.
- Bring to roiling boil.
- Add all spices and seasonings.
- Slightly stir, reduce flame to simmer, and cover.
- Simmer for 15-20 minute or until majority of liquid is absorbed.